Friday, June 12, 2009

What I like about some other Retroclones




Now that I've covered OSRIC and BFRPG in my series on retroclones, here are a few comments for other 'clones, even if I haven't read them thoroughly yet.

The great bit about this ruleset is it's simplicity. I can make a character in 5 minutes, and less if I pick simple equipment. Monsters have about 5 stats (characters have about 8), and even those don't matter much, as thinking is emphasized over rules.



These have a large emphasis like the White Box, but the coolest thing about them is th
eir mass combat system. It's easy to understand and use, and I plan to adapt it to BFRPG when I need to run a big battle.

I haven't played this personally, but giving it a quick read-through the best thing about it is the amount of campaign material. It has a dungeon, a small outline for a dungeon, and a "worldmap" with major locations noted. It seems like Brave Halfling Publishing has put this to good use, having written several modules for use in this world.

Okay, keep a lookout for Part Two, including Mutant Future, Spellcraft and Swordplay, and Mazes and Minotaurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment